I thought I would energize my aluminum Apple keyboard yesterday by dowsing it with some Red Bull. The keyboard didn’t flinch but I sure did even though there wasn’t any sparks or explosions.
After unplugging it from my computer I placed it upside down so the Bull could flow out of it. After I wiped it down I plugged it in and it still worked. I used it the rest of the day without a hitch.
When I came in this morning I did not think about yesterdays baptism in the Bull until I tried to come to this website and was typing my name. The R was slow to some back up after being pressed and so I need to perform some surgery on my keyboard.
I ended up popping off the a Shift key, plus the T, R, and E keys. I rinsed each key and its little plastic spring with water and wiped the inside of the key socket. While those keys are now nice and responsive I have noticed that the G key is also acting sluggish so it looks like I will need to pop it off as well.
I wish I could just throw this thing in the dish washer and take care of it in one swoop.
P.S. This post has caused me to add a new category named "Doh!".
I called the company that I ordered the parts for my table saw and then have not arrived or even gotten a ship date for them yet – bummer.
I am going to give them another week and a half and then if they are not here by then I am going to cancel my order and go with one of the other companies that I found online.
I really wanted to support a local company but I may not have that option.
I finally got the chance to take my abused table saw apart to see what parts needed to be replaced. Basically all of the motor mount pieces need to be replaced since it seemed that the saw landed right on that section as it hit the ground.
After searching the internet high and low I finally found a local company that had the best prices for the parts that I needed to fix my table saw.
The parts that I ordered are:
- 509491 – Support, Motor Base
- 818527 – Spring
- 509494 – Base, Motor
- 509492 – Insert (Includes Set Screws)
- 824340-6 – Rail RearAcc
The total for all the parts came to around $125 which put the total cost of the saw at $350. This is still a whole lot cheaper then the $500-$600 original price of the saw. The parts are supposed to be in within the next week or two.
I had been scowering Craigslist for the last few weeks looking for a new table saw. My current saw is no more then 2 years old but it is a beginner’s bench top saw and I have been hitting the limitations of it in the last few projects that I have worked on. The biggest limitation is that the table itself is pretty small compared to a contractor’s saw. In fact in comparing my bench top saw to the new saw the new saw is almost 2 times bigger. This makes a big difference when doing various cuts. The other thing that I really did not like about my bench top saw was the fence, it was never square. Every time I wanted to cut something using the fence I would need to take extra time to make sure it was square and the correct distance from the blade.
Over the last few weeks a few Rigid contractors saws had come up on Craigslist and I seemed to miss out on each of them until yesterday. Yesterday I scored a Rigid TS24241 which is a one generation old fixed base contractor’s saw for $225. This saw was at least $500 brand new so this was really a great deal. I picked up the saw without a hitch but the ride home was something else.
NOTE – I write the next part with my head hung in shame. I wouldn’t normally share a huge screw-up like this but I am so that it can hopefully help others to slow down and do things the right way.
Here’s what happened AFTER I picked up the saw…
The guy I picked it up from had it in his truck on it’s side with the front of the saw facing down and the motor facing up. I did not notice if he had the saw strapped down or not. I knew that it was top heavy so it made sense that you would want to keep the center of gravity as low as possible so having it this way instead of standing up seemed to make sense. I pulled my brother-in-law’s truck right up to the back of his truck (tailgate to tailgate) and slid the table over to my truck.
I did not tie it down.
I got out of the parking lot and took my second turn near the freeway and the saw rolled out of the back of the truck and into the road. It scared the hell out of me. I got out and thank God the saw did not hit anyone or any other cars. There I was standing in the middle of the street with a ~300lbs saw that I could move or get into the truck on my own. Fortunately there was a guy across the street at a gas station that saw what happened and ran over to help me get it back in. We both strained to get it back in and this time I put it in with the table down with the legs standing straight up. I collected the various pieces of the saw that broken off or flew out with it and pulled into the gas station to assess the damage.
All told this is what got damaged/broken -
- The motor mount broke
- 1 leg got tweaked
- The rear aluminum rail for the fence got bent on both ends
- I put a crease in the corner of the cab on my brother-in-laws truck
It was terrible. Here I had just scored a great saw and within 5 minutes of owning it I break it.
Once I got home I searched the internet to see if I could find parts for it and luckily I found a couple of different sites to order parts from. All told it is going to be about $70 to fix the saw and an afternoon of sanding/priming/painting to patch the damage to my bro-in-laws truck.
The moral of the story is that safety is king even outside of the workshop.